Saturday, December 5, 2009

Im clueless about what career to choose. How did you get to where you are?

There are so many things that im good. Art, Music, Theater, Animals. I cant bring myself to like one more than the other. I want to go to college and have a good career, a home, a car, and a family later in life. Im totally dedicated to working hard and doing the best that i can for whatever i set my mind to. What do you think? How did you get to where you are?



Im clueless about what career to choose. How did you get to where you are?sunshine



I'd recommend going to a liberal arts school, not just a school with a liberal arts major. Realistically, people are going to want you to major in a specific discipline (Art, Music, Theater, pre-Vet...) while you're in college, but a liberal arts school will give you the chance to try lots of different things before you decide. Also, many employers understand that, if you go to a liberal arts school, you will be trained in lots of things outside of your major. That way, even if you decide you don't want to make a career of your major (not a big deal, promise!) you'll have lots of good general skills.



Most generally, I'd say - don't feel like you have to figure it all out now. It's a *good* thing that you are interested in lots of things. It means that you could have any number of careers and have a happy life. No matter where you go to college and what you major in, no matter what your first few jobs out of college are, as long as you keep working hard and trying new things, you'll find something that fits you and that you're successful at!



Im clueless about what career to choose. How did you get to where you are?star theater opera theater



The average person has 6 careers in their lifetime. I'm on 4 right now. I now have enough life experience to do just about anything.



If you want ot go to college try starting with a liberal arts major. many companies like that as it shows you are a well rounded person who can adapt and build on a broad range of knowledge.
You go to college and take electives in several different areas until you find the one that peaks your interest. Don't worry you will probably change your major several times, most people do.
Talk to a career's advisor. They have a dept. set up in most educational institutions.
I have had one passion.. one career.. in my entire life.. I am a writer. I began writing when I was 5.. BEFORE I could write.. my mother wrote down the few sentences I dictated. When I wake in the morning, I think of writing.. that is how I know I was meant to be a writer. What is the one interest that grabs you first thing in the morning? That is usually a good indicator of what your heart is trying to tell you.
I went to college for Criminology and History. I found them both very interesting, but I realized that the only jobs there really are is to be a parole officer or a teacher. I didn't want to do either. I moved to LA and became an administrative assistant. It was a good job, but not very fulfilling to me. After my car breaking down one too many times and feeling like the mechanics were cheating me, I decided to become a mechanic. Too many school loans already, so I joined the Marine Corps for an education and training when I was 25. It took me a long time to figure out what I want to do with my life, so stop stressing. Go to college and figure it out. You don't have to declare a major for the first two years. Take a wide range of classes, literature, psychology, business. Feel out what you enjoy and are interested in. You don't have to choose RIGHT NOW. you can wait until you know. Become a well rounded individual and your knowledge will help you no matter what you decide. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
can dogs eat celery