Saturday, December 5, 2009

Should I Quit My Job? Boss lied about my contract & won't give time off for urgent personal

I'm a college student who was looking for a summer job and contacted a summer theater.The artistic director offered me $300/week to run sound.This would mean for rehearsals %26amp; shows,no more than standard 40 hr. work week.The contract I was actually sent was for $275/week as sound technician/scenic painter,with no mention of hours.I was wary,but signed it.



On my first day of work I was told that I would be working whenever the technical director wanted me to.For the first 2 weeks this meant 6 days/week,8 hrs/day. I wasn't happy with another change, but was ok with an extra 8 hrs.Next they tell me no more days off %26amp; work 9-midnight.Then my bf was in a very bad car wreck %26amp; I took 3 days off to be at the hospital %26amp; take care of him,%26amp; I need to take another 3 days to get him home.My boss freaked %26amp; screamed at me for 20 min on the phone,calling me lazy,underhanded,%26amp;ungrateful.



I hate the pay,ridiculous hours,unreasonable boss,%26amp; I need time for my bf %26amp; my sister who is sick.Quit now?



Should I Quit My Job? Boss lied about my contract %26amp; won't give time off for urgent personal problems?concert venue



Quit now.



What are you getting paid? $2.50 an hour.



They are sh*t conditions.



Even if you didn't have an injured boyfriend and sick sister, I wouldn't put up with that.



Good luck with getting a new job with a better boss :)



Should I Quit My Job? Boss lied about my contract %26amp; won't give time off for urgent personal problems?events opera theater



you need to find a better job that pays you good and the people or boss want give u a hard time
Quit now!
Go ahead and quit without giving two week notice. The two week notice would be nice for courtesy's sake since you might want to leave on good terms in case you put this place down as past employment experience. However, it's very likely that your boss will not give you a good recommendation if your future employers call.
I'm not sure why you are asking, by the end of your question I would think you already realize the only option is to quit. Bu since you asked here is my answer:



Quit and never look back. You are better than to be treated like that. Considering the hours and lack of defined schedule you are working for next to nothing. Though it may not be as rewarding you could do better from a pay and schedule perspective working at a fast food restaurant. This is a summer job, it should allow you to have a life, enjoy your youth, you'll have plenty of opportunities to work for jerks later in life. You already know what matters most.
I'd probably quit.



And by the way, if you're in the US, you are required to be paid time and a half for hours over 40 a week. Contact the department of labor. The money you're making, even if they call it "salary", isn't enough to exempt you from overtime laws. See http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/overt...



You can give them a call after you quit, or after the summer job ends if you decide to stay, and file a complaint for the back pay.
it sounds as if your boss has no respect or regard for your personal well-being. i would say that is grounds to quit, if you can afford to lose that job. it sounds like you have already lost the chance to use him as a reference anyway.
theatrical work is always long and dragged out i am surprised he did not fire you. Then that way you could collect unemployment if you had enough time on your quarterly work history. i personally could not work for someone that mean.
Quit



Your personal problems make it sound like you are not committed to the project.



By quitting now, they will have time to find a replacement for you and you will have time to take care of your family and get ready for next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
can dogs eat celery